Friday, November 03, 2006

Glad that I'm not soluble

For the longest time, i've been checking up on my interactive degree audit to see if my credit for second year czech and my time in Brno had been processed. each time i saw the bright red 'no' on the foreign language requirement, i was disheartened, because it just added to the feeling that it was all a fraud and that any moment, dozens of czech pirates would crash through my windows. before pillaging my room, they would point, laugh, and scream in czech that i hadn't escaped their grasp yet.

but miracle of miracles, i looked today and the red no had been changed to a happy black yes, and i'm free from the reign of grammatical tyranny that is the czech language. jsem svobodna!

after i had checked my IDA, i pulled up my registration page and continually refreshed until it would allow me to start plugging in unique numbers. i absolutely hate registration day, and it's a blessing that this was my last one. every single time, i make frantic prayers to the gods of registration as bullets of sweat form on my face. then i begin a running monologue in my head that go something like this: "oh no, that session is full...what about this session? curses! the course is closed. is there hope of a waitlist? oh, wonderful, i can be number 45. well, maybe i'll just try this class...closed too. hm. i suppose i could just get on the waitlist and start knocking off the people in front of me...but that would be about 59 people. could my conscience deal with that?.....maybe." and then i start to question where my life is going- after all, here i am sitting hunched over in my office chair, wearing what is quickly becoming sweat-soaked pajamas all for the oppurtunity to get into a couse entitled, "extreme free style hacking" or "paris hilton, pogs, and p. diddy: present-day pop culture." surely something's wrong with my degree plan...

but i came out relatively unscathed with minimal cursing this time around. mainly because i'm taking the attitude of "who cares? this is my last semester" and i'm supposed to have gotten some pretty good professors, including a repeat of my czech modern literature professor for the class Plastic People, Velvet President: Czechoslovakian Underground culture after 1948. should be interesting because as the title alludes to, Czechs were obsessed with the Velvet Underground, Lou Reed, and Frank Zappa. Beyond that, if it's anything like my czech modern literature class now, it should be rather amusing. In one of his recent powerpoints, he said simply "and here's Paral playing the guitar..." and of course this followed. maybe he'll continue with his running theme of kittens singing in the next class.

oh yes, by the time i finish at UT, i'll have a BS in something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home